There is no such thing as a “once in a generation opportunity”…apparently.

In the early hours of September 19th 2014, the results of the vote slowly started to flood in. As they were being counted, it soon became clear that the majority of Scotland voted “No” to an independent Scotland and the SNP lost the battle they so desperately wanted to win.

Leading up to the vote, you couldn’t watch the news without some narrative on independence being broadcast which usually (if not always) divided friends and families with their strong opinions. 55% per cent of Scottish voters opted to remain while 45% voted to leave, yet three years later, the question still seems to be resonating on the minds of the Scottish people.

Sturgeon has brought up whether or not we should hold a second independence referendum, despite telling us it was a “once in a generation” opportunity and since Brexit, she has been under fire for focusing on independence rather than issues such as the NHS, education and poverty.

Many voters on both sides believe that Sturgeon should accept the result rather than holding another referendum just because she is on the opposing team. Since then, the SNP have lost some support and during the General Election 2017, they lost 22 seats, making it the largest defeat in over 40 years.

During her Brexit speech, she said she would reserve the right to hold another indyref if there was a “significant change of circumstances”, in particular, if Scotland was taken out of the EU against its will – which it was. Afterwards, she admitted they suffered a “bitterly disappointing” loss.

When asked how people would vote in a recent poll of October 2017, 39% said they would vote ‘Yes’ to independence whilst 50% said they would vote “No”, leaving the remaining per cent saying they didn’t know or refused to answer.

Sturgeon has admitted in recent months she doesn’t know if she will call another referendum soon, but it’s likely that a vote would still take place before 2021. In an interview with the New Statesman, she explained the SNP would come back when things are clearer and whether or not they want to try and persuade the Scottish people to vote for independence. First Minister, Alex Salmond said that “it’s a once in a generation opportunity” yet when it’s brought up, it seems that ‘yes’ voters ignore this statement and continue on with their quest for independence. It is understandable and acceptable to voice your opinion (regardless on what side you’re on) but when will this stop?

Sturgeon said “Brexit changed everything in 2016…The future of the UK looks very different today than it did two years ago. Change is coming for Scotland, the question is what kind of change do we want”.

Let’s face it, there’s no denying that they’ve said this and written it over and over again, so why are we debating over another one? Shouldn’t we just accept it and move onto more important matters?

So, to sum things up, I am all for letting people have an opinion but what if we have another vote and it’s ‘No’? Are the SNP going to call another one? Wasting money on something that is likely not going to happen at least for another couple of years when they could be funding education, homelessness or the NHS that actually would benefit Scotland for once? There are so many pros and cons to becoming independent and not everyone will agree as we know. All we need is some clarity with the ongoing Brexit situation but it doesn’t seem likely at the moment that we can get that reassurance. I just think it’s safe to say the “once in a generation opportunity” is not true.

Sources:

Sky News Interview

Poll

Share:
As with all political opinions, there will always be people disagreeing with each other. Please respect this post and any comments rather than replying with abuse. I have tried to be as unbiased as possible - I myself am not sure where I stand on Independence. Many thanks.

11 Comments

1. 23rd October 2017 / 5:04 pm

I’m not someone that’s really into politics but I do think at the moment they should concentrate on things like the NHS and things!

Vikki | planetvikkiblog.wordpress.com

2. 17th October 2017 / 8:58 pm

It frustrates me that things like this are such a big thing to politicians but they don’t seem to care about losing the NHS, obviously not when they can all afford private health care!!

• 18th October 2017 / 9:26 am

Exactly. They claim not to have enough money yet they can give plenty to the DUP and spend £60+ million on a clock – ridiculous!

3. 14th October 2017 / 10:10 am

I’ve just moved to Scotland and am slowly learning about Scottish politics (I used to live in England). I don’t know a huge amount but I’m surprised that the October 2017 poll found only 39% people voted for independence when Scotland as a whole voted to remain in the EU. The whole Brexit thing is an absolute mess at the moment and it doesn’t appear that politicians are doing a great job at providing anyone with any kind of reassurance.

• 14th October 2017 / 8:00 pm

So was I! It changed from 49 per cent to 39 per cent within a month and that tells a lot! It’s just so strange how less people are wanting it yet all I hear are people moaning about how they didn’t get what they want, even though the majority voted no.

We [Scotland] voted ‘No’ for Brexit yet we are being taken out against our will? Where’s the second Brexit vote? I hope you enjoy Scotland, despite the rain it’s a lovely place x

4. 13th October 2017 / 10:15 pm

I don’t think we will see another one for at least 20 years. The SNP lost massively in the election and they no longer have the mandate to call one as people didn’t vote for them because they don’t want one. Sturgeon will never get the support from her party and Scottish people to do one, the general election results told us this.

It’s interesting though, because I thought Brexit for sure would have the Scottish people wanting a referendum because they voted so strongly remain but the general election spoke masses to what they really want. The tories did so well in Scotland which kind of shows what they may really want, and that tells a tale really.

• 14th October 2017 / 7:55 pm

Totally agree – don’t think Scotland will become independent (or at least have another vote) in a good few years. Politicians here are never clear and the Brexit situation isn’t helping.

5. 13th October 2017 / 9:49 pm

I can’t help but agree with you. We host other referendums because we don’t like the answer will simply making voting redundant. It’s just something that the party will have to see through until otherwise.

• 14th October 2017 / 7:53 pm

Agreed. I will definitely look at both sides if we have another one but if its a ‘No’ again I really hope they don’t make us vote again.

• 13th October 2017 / 9:31 pm

Really? I didn’t know about that – very interesting. Away to read up on it now 🙂 Quebec looks amazing, always wanted to visit different places in Canada.

Leave a comment...