Why I won’t be buying Zoella’s £50 Advent Calendar

UPDATE: Zoe has spoken about the situation saying that she has no control over the price which is fair enough but my issue was the fact it was £50 for what you get. I mean no disrespect to Zoe. The majority of my points still stand so the post shall remain the same and unchanged 💜

Zoella has always sold such great products from the ideas to designs, but this one seems to be way off the mark for several reasons and let me explain why.

If I were to lay out all 12 (not 24) items down on the table and for you to guess the price, you’d probably say around £10-20. If I told you it was £50, you’d laugh and  that’s exactly what the internet did, including myself. Between this and the disastrous event that was HelloWorld, everyone is going insane and not having ANY of it. Out of 77 reviews on Boots’ website, so far it has 2 stars…

and the best (most logical) tweet for last…

Now bear in mind, the majority of her fans wanting this will be begging their parents/guardians to buy them it not knowing that the products inside are not great value for money.

£50 is a days’ wage for some people (and unlike Zoella who probably earns that in an hour – no disrespect) do they realise that we’re not made of money? You could buy five cinema trips or a trip to the spa for that much – spend it on that to release your frustration after this!

So below is obviously a spoiler as to what’s inside

DAY 1 – ‘Merry and bright’ bauble

DAY 2- Confetti…yup you are reading that right…CONFETTI

DAY 3– Star cookie cutter

DAY 4  – 7 stickers

DAY 5  – Small pencil case/beauty bag – basically a tiny bag

DAY 6  – Festive Cookie Candle (130g)

DAY 7 – Zoella’s Clementine Room Spray (30ml)

DAY 8- Pen

DAY 9 – Pom Pom

DAY 10 – Gingerbread cookie cutter

DAY 11 – Mini notepad

DAY 12 – Candle

Now as nice as some of these items are, they’re not exactly screaming “I’m worth FIFTY pounds” are they? Seeing people get excited over the items in this is like watching people get excited over their Christmas Cracker items and who gets excited over those, genuinely? This is where my problem lies.

If this was £20 then yes, fair enough I wouldn’t complain but it’s like an arts and crafts calendar with the confetti and stickers which nobody I know would want. That’s the issue. £50 for an advent calendar in which you get that as a gift behind door 2.

I am in the 18-25 age bracket and LOVED to watch Zoella. I stopped watching about one year ago and boy am I glad. I’m not saying she doesn’t care about her fans but the priority for her seems to be money at the moment or at least it comes across that way. I am very confused in all honesty and would like to know the following…

1. Why is it £50 for 12 DAYS?
  2. Why haven’t you spoken out about it saying sorry or even justifying your prices?
  3. I’ve read they’re good quality yet this guy below literarily bent the cookie cutter with his own hands which makes me think…they’re not the best quality, are they? Fair enough £50 but it has to be worth it with good products.

Now before the Zoella fans attack me, I was an AVID fan to the point I would re-watch her videos and buy products I didn’t need because they were ZOELLA’S. I stuck up for her against the haters. I like her beauty range and always have but her lifestyle range for me is too expensive and I really wanted her notebook but am I spending £15 for a notebook when I don’t even have an income? Heck no. I got three from Poundland for £1. Saving myself £14!

So folks, it looks like you’re paying £50 for some cookie cutters, a pen, a mini notepad, a pom pom, CONFETTI (still cant get over that) and stickers. How exciting! And to all the parents, buy your kid 12 Zoella items if they’re so eager to get her products because I bet you, it will be far more worth your money to get that.

What do you think about this whole Zoella situation?

/p>< /p>

Share:

13 Comments

1. November 12, 2017 / 7:30 pm

I couldn’t agree more! I watched that video earlier and was laughing hysterically!! That calendar is a shambles 🤦🏽‍♀️

• November 12, 2017 / 7:39 pm

I saw it last night and cried it was so funny 😂 seriously waiting for her to justify it. No disrespect to her but it’s ridiculous

2. November 12, 2017 / 9:14 pm

I used to be a huge fan of Zoella, and also thought she seemed so sweet and humble, but I am really struggling to understand how the price of this can be justified! I just really hope young people don’t waste their money on it, because that would be such a shame! 🙁 xx

• November 12, 2017 / 11:20 pm

Agreed. Such a shame as I looked up to her.

3. November 12, 2017 / 11:05 pm

I used to watch her Youtube channel because when i discovered her she was relatable. There was Primark hauls and make up looks which were easy and cheap to create but now its all about the money and expensive ASOS hauls or brands ive never even heard of which costs £50 for a tshirt. Same with Alfie, I used to watch his Vlogs but a recent one seriously put me off him completely. What they dont seen to realise is that big mansion they are living in is paid for by their fans and the cheap merch they sell for ridiculous prices but they know their fans will buy because their fans idolise them. I’ve been completely put off the both of them.

And dont get me started on the ridiculous advent calendar haha!

Heather xox || http://www.xhighlandbeauty.co.uk

• November 13, 2017 / 12:21 am

Wow. You genuinely put into words what I’ve been so angry about and trying to say in a calm manner!
      If I had to say ONE nice thing about Zoe is that she worked for it but like you said, Primark and drugstore hauls and make up routines were so relatable and I’d look them up and they were affordable. Now it’s a days wage for a Foundation, a top or in this case an advent calendar.
      I don’t even have a job yet and I’m still trying so hard to find one, so I want her to be in shoes like mine of someone in higher education, trying to pay back their student loan with ZERO income OR even a hard working parent who may or may not earn £50 a day…then see if she thinks £50 is okay. The fact that she hasn’t spoken out annoys me

4. November 13, 2017 / 11:51 am

I went off Zoella when the ghost writing story first broke – it’s not the first time she’s released something that has little more input from her than her name, knowing people will buy it. I was skeptical when I saw the calendar was £50 but I was genuinely shocked by the contents! I will give her this though – most beauty advent calendars have a huge mark up and you get less contents then you pay for. But seeing as young girls will be wanting this, you’d think she’d try a little harder!

• November 13, 2017 / 2:36 pm

I love her designs and picked up it up from the shops. Saw a £50 price tag and thought it was for a different product. Researched what was in it online and thought it was the height of greed. Poor young kids begging their parents for an advent calendar which is a days wage. Honestly ridiculous

5. November 16, 2017 / 6:15 pm

I used to be a fan of Zoella but went off her a couple of years ago because she became unrelatable to me. I understand she said she has no say in the price, but I don’t 100% buy that. Surely, when she started out making this product she had a rough idea of how much it was going to be sold for, or how much the ‘gifts’ would cost. It frustrates me to see a few of these bigger Youtubers exploiting their fans, and that’s exactly what this is. When I was the age of her target audience I wouldn’t have been able to afford it, and my parents sure as hell would not have bought me a £50 advent calendar.

• November 16, 2017 / 6:26 pm

Totally agree. If I made a product like that I would have spoken up and said ‘don’t you think £50 is a bit pricey’, etc..
      I’m not trashing Zoella neither are any of us for sharing or opinions so I’m glad she finally listened and they reduced it.
      For me it was never the price itself, simply the fact that the products were no where near £50.
      When – say for example – The Body Shop launched their beauty calendar, it was around £50-90. But their cheapest calendar which was £49/50 was good as the contents were worth more money and actually worth it.
      Some people are too quick to judge as if we’re attacking her, I’m just glad she finally addressed it.

6. November 18, 2017 / 8:31 pm

I was going to get this for my cousin who is a massive zoella fan but honestly I think even she is turned off by her now! I don’t know how you could still claim to have an ounce of self respect after letting that hit the shelves!

7. November 18, 2017 / 8:32 pm

I saw a review on youtube about her advent calendar and was seriously so shocked about how much it was and the products. I think that it was really overpriced!

Leave a comment...