Atlantic Bar & Brasserie, Glasgow | Review

16th April 2018Sophie

A French restaurant? Oui, s’il vous plait!

Overpriced food and okay service? Non, merci!

Atmosphere

As a celebration for my birthday as well as my brothers, my parents booked us a table at Atlantic Bar and Brasserie. If you know me or follow me on social media, you’ll know I love French food. When I saw the menu I was so stuck on what to choose because their menu had so many options – all of which sounded fab!

We arrive slightly early but were seated straight away which was nice. We were then taken to our seats which were close to the bar, however, this lovely spot was quickly ruined by a loud woman nearby. If that didn’t make matters worse, the restaurant was so loud we could barely hear each other. Half of the night consisted of us going “What?” “I can’t hear you?” “Tell me later” – yay for family night!

I suppose it’s not exactly the restaurants fault but atmosphere means a lot, right?

Food & Drinks

As it was my birthday I ordered the Champaign Passion cocktail which was very nice and drank that alongside my Duck. The Langeudoc and Pic Poulet wine which my parents ordered was excellent.

All our dishes were delicious. For starters, I ordered the Escargot (aka Snails) and I thoroughly enjoyed them. The bread was excellent and with the garlic & herbs from the snails, it went together very nicely.

Both the Swordfish and Duck were beautifully cooked and tasted amazing but both dishes were slightly overpriced if my opinion. Given the occasion, my parents ordered the Cote de Boeuf designed for two people, priced at £60. However upon arrival we were shocked at the small portion – I could have eaten it myself. We all were in agreement it was shockingly overpriced.I‘ll admit it tasted good but given the price for the small portion size, it was a major let down.

The Garlic Herb sauce served with their meal was cold and they were given one mushroom between them. For £60, you’d expect them to get their own mushroom rather than half a mushroom each!

Service (and dessert!)

Where to begin? It started off well but was dreadful after we were given our drinks.

I obviously understand they were busy and we took that into account but we were left waiting at least 25 minutes with our finished plates in front of us before someone came to ask us if we were done. The woman who served us did apologise and again, we understood but it was still shocking nevertheless. It’s never nice being ignored, especially when you’re paying a lot of money. We did think about leaving and going home for dessert but we didn’t want to let that ruin a good birthday meal so we stayed. The Cheeseboard, Crème Brûlée and Passion Fruit Soufflé were all very nice too and full of flavour – thank heavens!

Was it nice? Very. Would I come back? No

Atmosphere: 3/5

Food & Drinks: 4/5

Service: 3/5

Overall: 10/15

Comments (12)

• fayejessica

8th May 2018 at 6:27 PM

So sorry that it was a poor birthday meal. I agree with Hannah, I’d still be hungry after that!!

Faye Jessica | fayejessica.co.uk

1. Sophie

11th May 2018 at 3:06 PM

My parents were hungry after it which was such a shame – if only it was a bigger portion as we would have been back x

• Britt | Alternatively Speaking

27th April 2018 at 7:31 PM

There is nothing that turns me off a place faster than poor service. Like you, I am reasonable in that I understand when a restaurant is busy and how that will impact the speed of service BUT that isn’t an excuse for everything to go completely down the drain!
    Britt | http://alternativelyspeaking.ca

• Amber

23rd April 2018 at 9:52 PM

What a shame it ruined your birthday meal. The food looked good but like you say a little on the small side for the price!

Love Amber – http://www.ambambe.com xx

1. Sophie

25th April 2018 at 9:05 PM

very! May as well just go to France for the proper stuff, eh?! 😀 x

• Styled by Eva

23rd April 2018 at 9:13 PM

I’m so gutted that this wasn’t what you expected! I guess next time you’ll have to go to France for your meal 😉 I could also eat that meal in one mouthful ngl XOX

1. Sophie

23rd April 2018 at 9:54 PM

Do you know what Eva, you’re right – oh no, back to France it is for me…how unfortunate! X 😀

1. Styled by Eva

25th April 2018 at 1:26 PM

You’ll have to take one for the team girl. It has to be done 🤷🏻‍♀️ XOX

• Planet Vikki

23rd April 2018 at 4:02 PM

Happy Bleated Birthday! Aaww sorry you didn’t have a good time, to be fair I could eat that meal to myself to!

Vikki | http://planetvikkiblog.wordpress.com

1. Sophie

23rd April 2018 at 9:52 PM

Thank you – I actually walked past it today and was reminded of this small plate ahah, so I agree!

• Hannah

16th April 2018 at 1:15 PM

Aww it’s such a shame that you didn’t get a good birthday meal!!!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY BTW!!!!!!

That thing looks bloody tiny I’d eat that myself and still want more 😂😂
    Hannah xx